Thursday, February 14, 2019

My accent is a conversation starter


Hey y’all, 

I have been meeting a lot of new people and when they hear my accent, they ask where I am from. 



When I tell them that I hail from Tanzania they say WOW like I come from Wakanda or something (jokes...Tanzania is way better). And a bunch of questions come flooding in, the usual ones by the way - how is the weather down there, have you been on a safari, what language do you all speak, when is the best time to visit, so on and so forth. My answers are usually the same; if you get to visit Tanzania you must visit Kilimanjaro, where the highest mountain in Africa is located. We speak Swahili - you know the movie Lion King? Well, Hakuna Matata is a Swahili word (and the WOOOW gets additional OOs in between). 



Swimming with dolphins in Zanzibar, eating chips mayai and octopus from street vendors (yummy). Visiting Ngorongoro crater, snapping crocodiles in Bagamoyo. I mean, it never gets tiring to talk about home because I am proud of what we have; the food, the wildlife, the gems, the social life and the incredible Dar es Salaam heat! (I joke about the heat, I don’t like it). The challenges though, is when I get asked certain safaris questions that I don’t know much about, (it happens). 



I sometimes inquire from Google, but I also get to tell them about my friend who owns a touring company and let them do the rest. However, questions regarding flying safaris, chartered flights, that’s something I don’t have experience with, but the good thing is, they do exist and Yellow pages Tanzania, Google and directory.co.tz will do a good job of directing you to the right people and places. 

When you visit Tanzania, do yourself a favor...eat food from street vendors. I mean, It doesn't matter if you are a billionaire, what's the point of being in Tanzania and not experience the wild side of life?


To those with a travel bug like myself, the beautiful thing about being an adult is to actually look forward to go on a vacation that you can actually afford...and 'Tanzania' is one vacation you will ALWAYS be able to afford, trust me.

1 comment: