Thursday, January 30, 2020

5 things I liked about New York City

Hey y'all,

My few days in New York city were filled with awe and joy. I was reminded of the Dar es Salaam life, but better. Here are 5 things that I liked about my little NYC break.

1. Lively

NYC is very lively and I liked that. People were putting on shows on the streets, the subways, at Times Square. I really enjoyed that life.The fact that I was in no hurry, it allowed me the time to stand or sit and observe my surroundings and see the joy in people's faces. 

2. Public transportation

The public transportation in NYC was my favorite. Having multiple forms of transportation makes life so easy for New Yorkers and I see why it's continuing to be the 'it' city of this nation. When I complained about the public transportation in Jacksonville, to some, I did not make any sense, but to those who've lived in other major cities always agree with me and said how transportation is better in metropolitan cities like New York. I believe having a good public transportation system is one of the causes for a city to develop, for more people to move to a city, and for businesses to increase.

3. Old building

I met someone for a short planned meeting and she asked me what I liked about New York city. I thought she would think I am crazy when I told her I loved looking at the old buildings, but much to my surprise, that's what a lot of people like too, including her. The old buildings reminded me of Zanzibar. I felt as though I lived in the 1880's yet in 2020. I was impressed at how most of those building are well maintained. New York city has a vintage yet modern feel to it, that's something to fall madly in love with. Unfortunately, not all the old buildings had Zanzibar doors styles, which means Zanzibar will forever remain the most beautiful island in Africa..

4. The United Nations

I found out about the UN visitor tour on Friday and I told myself, I would feel so bad if I left the city without visiting the famous UN head quarters. I paid for the tour online and off I went. Being inside that building made me want to apply for a job at the spot. Everything about United Nations is amazing. The staff, what UN is about, the goals, just everything. The tour was for about an hour, we got to visit the 4 branches of the United Nations, and hear a brief history of the UN and it's ongoing projects across the world.


5. People

The amount of people moving around in New York city is beyond what I had imaged before I went there. While sitting in a metro I asked myself how many people I had seen in a matter of few hours? I wanted to count those in the metro with me but I gave up. Sad to say, just because there are plenty of people around, it did not mean people didn't sit by themselves, or look lonely. I expected NYC to be a busy city with a culture where people talk to each other - strangers or not, but it wasn't the case. However, I met wonderful people who helped me out when I had questions about the metro and the stops I needed to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment