Saturday, June 1, 2019

Domestic Tourism

Sunflower plantation in Mlolo / Kikombwe Iringa.

Hey y'all, 

It was an amazing 6 weeks back in motherland filled with joy, calmness, shock, sadness, reality-check, togetherness, and so much more. We had to go to Iringa twice two weekends in a row. Both times were not for a happy reason, but I give God the Glory. On our way back from Iringa we passed through Mikumi National Park, we had our few minutes of utalii wa ndani as we drove through the main road. We came across different animals both times, I made sure to record videos, please watch the video link below. 


Even though I had been to Mikumi National Park before back in 2002 (school tour), it felt different this time around, I desired to go back into the park and not just drive through it. My sister had never been to Mikumi and she wanted to do a domestic safari so badly, unfortunately, time was not on her side. Even though it was not an actual safari, we were happy with what we saw and we still desired for more. 

When I was in Zimbabwe, my cousin Zack asked Kaka about his experience doing safaris in Tanzania. We Tanzanians don't take advantage of what we have as much as foreigners do. It was interesting that a Tanzanian was asking a foreigner for tips to visit Zanzibar,  and whether they (my cousin and his family) should do Serengeti Safaris or Ngorongoro. But my cousin was real, he talked about how we Tanzanians work hard to make money yet do not spend the time to enjoy what our country has to offer. And it had to take some convincing from his wife for them to go back to Tanzania for a break this June to visit national parks as well as swim in the clear waters of Zanzibar. 

I do not have the statistics of Tanzanians who do domestic safaris but I would guess not as many as the government wishes, and I wonder why that is. Do we do a better job of advertising our mother nature to the outsiders more than we do to the insiders? Or do the outsiders do a better job of telling each other about what Tanzania has to offer and that's why they flock in in good numbers? And I say this because when I traveled with Kaka back in 2010, we went to Maziwe Island in Tanga which I had never heard of before he mentioned it, so perhaps the lonely planet has something to do with it. And no, it's not just me, I have mentioned Maziwe Island to a few friends and they had no idea about it. I mean, apart from mentioning the five national parks which we had to remember thanks to the childhood songs about Tanzanian national parks, what other parks can we think of on the top our head? I came to know about Selous national park in 2012 when my supervisor at my first job had taken his family on a safari to Selous on one of the long weekend, I think it was organized by their community. 

How many of us Tanzanians truly know what we have, without being adventure lovers like my friend Suzanne who organizes group tours within TZ and abroad for her family and friends just for fun, or my friend Hasina who owns a Tours and Travel company? How can an ordinary Mamatembo be informed about what Tanzania has to offer, near and far, so that on a lousy day when I have the cash and a long weekend, I can decide to go somewhere for a hike, a walking safari, or swim in our exotic beaches or bath in the water falls? I can give some credit to the government for advertising tourism on some TV stations, or a dedicated TV station that I think I came across by accident. But let's be realistic here, I spend more time on Instagram than I do watching TV, how good are we marketing our national treasures to the social media generation to the point where we are all effectively and equally reached regardless of what media we use?

Anywho, I suggested to my cousin to visit the Ngorongoro Crater and I know he and his wife won't regret it. Zanzibar is a must see as well.






Home

2 comments:

  1. There's certainly a great deal to know about this topic.
    I love all of the points you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello There, I would like to said that your blog was really good, and besides It help and inspire me that’s why I’m very overwhelmed everytime i read your blogs and also i always think of you everytime i read such a content like yours. And also, if you all guys in need or interested to laundry service delivery Singapore services free to visit us and check out our latest promos. Hurry up and don’t missed it.

    ReplyDelete