Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oh My'Sore (Incredible India)

karnataka state - Mysore
In July 2007 I landed in India. I didn't really know how to think of this place, so i had neither high nor low expectations. knowing that i will be here for 5 years (2007 -  2012) i had a low spirit but was not disappointed, i knew what i came to do here and i was/am ready to go all the way. So i landed in Mumbai Int. Airport for transit then flew to Bangalore after 4 hours of waiting. While in bangalore i started to like what i was seeing. Being in a new place, with people of different color from my own, seeing their developments (both our countries being 3rd world countries) and the firm standing of their culture and tradition, i had much appreciation for this place.

with friends at the Mysore palace in 2007
I did/still do miss my friends a whole lot but i was determined to enjoy my new life and make new friends of different religion, race, etc and India was a place for that. I was welcomed in Mysore by my two good friends (now) ,(strangers then) Irene and Sonia. I was in such disbelief to see how people can be so kind and show so much hospitality to a stranger who they may rather look at me as a burden if not unnecessary stress. But these ladies were amazing, i stayed with them for awhile and even after i had leased a 'petite maison' for myself i still went to their house and spent nights there..i felt like part of the family.

The Mysore Zoo
Before and after commencing classes, i got the opportunity to meet other interesting, wonderful and crazy (in a good way) people. My class has students from India, Maldives, Afghanistan and Tanzania (myself). School may suck but those guys were just incredible and FUN. I fell in love with India even more coz now i got to have great friends and got to know there exists an Island called Maldives and that people from Afghanistan are very humble (something that the media fails to show).
My lovely classmates
With my crazy classmates we got to tour around Mysore and places far from it, and nothing says "best tour ever" like being with the locals who speak the native language of Karnataka State (kannada) and are there to watch your back so that you don't get ripped off (thanks Archy, Devika n Syed).
with Irene at Brindavan Garden

It's now been four years since i came here and i already feel like this is my home. Language barrier is still my major obstacle to a lot of things but the love i keep getting from few / many locals makes me forget that i don't speak their language.
Outside Mysore University with Caroline
 And then a friend introduced me to 'couchsurfing', i figured why not. And honestly, i've enjoyed the experience of hosting different people from different parts of the world and getting to know their stories and aspirations and their views on different things (education, love, marriage, work, families, faith). I appreciate the good, the bad and the b'ful experiences i've been through in this place.
with couchsurfers/friends from Singapore

For those who are not on www.couchsurfing.org and plan to be hosted when in Mysore send me a comment and your email address then i'll get back to you. For those on Couchsurfing my ID is Addy John, would love to host you. ;-)
Mysore palace with couchsurfers/friends
There is so much to see in Mysore but i'd advise you to visit the Mysore Palace during the day, and on the weekend at 7p.m to watch the lights at the Palace. Brindavan Garden is one of the good spots to have a nice picnic (it it's allowed), lol. Chamundi Hill is a must to see, during the night it's just wonderful and peaceful, during the day it's just BRIGHT with a clear view the entire city.

5 comments:

  1. Awww Tinaaaa.... this is really wonderful..
    And its true, friends are what make our classes worthwhile..
    A great first post!! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey gal i have to tel u, i was very thrilled to have met u as my classmate 4m day 1. i guess the two of us clicked off in some weird way.
    love ur blog. pretty awesome!!!!
    conti updating bot the crazy stay in India..

    ReplyDelete
  3. D, thanks for the comment. The only thing we have in that class is the love we got for each other. we have our rough times but am glad we find ways to sort things out and be happy together. I love you guys. XXX

    Archana, Our bond is awesome, glad we met and thanks for being my BFF. Luv u mob honeypie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing... nice to read it. it was awesome tina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad u like it Muqit. thanx for being a friend.

    ReplyDelete